Hellooooooo y'all. Howau???!!!!(that's the way say it here) Haha.
Today I slept in till 8 and that's really saying something, and I ATE BREAKFAST!!! And I didn't really feel sick afterwards. It was great!
Me and Robyn went out back and saw a tiny monkey in our yard!!!! He ran up and just watched us in the trees. So cute! We're gonna catch him.:)
Anyways We got ready for the day and then set out to our appointments at 3 different health clinics here in Mbale. We started out at Mbale regional, it is government owned so most the hospital is free. And let's just say the government sucks so bad at running hospitals. The smells, sounds, and sights are really hard to get over.
The hospital only takes care of the illness you are there for, the family of the patient basically sets up camp outside of the wing and takes care of all the other needs of the patient. I usually am (semi) comfortable in these settings but I could not handle it. It was dirty and loud and nothing was private. Surgeries going on in rooms with 50 sick people in them. I saw a skull surgery, aka lots of blood and a large hole in this mans skull. It was really hard to see, we saw the delivery wing and there were literally 10 women in labor waiting to get to a bed. They just stared at us in agony and I felt helpless. But That is where I was most comfortable. I think probably because everything that went on there was natural, and not just a disease or accident.
We then went to the malnutrition wing and I liked that one too, it was more clean and not so many people. They aren't well educated on malnutrition here so the children really are in bad condition, but when the severe malnourished children come in they really are in bad condition. And just miserable. Most of them cannot even talk, and they just moan in pain. It's way sad. It was a very humbling experience though.
I find myself worrying way too much about Ebola haha. Like I make up these stories in my head that somehow it got to someone here and with my luck I'm gonna run into them and get it and then die here and never see home again hahaha. It is stupid but I asked one of the doctors and they say everyday they have suspected Ebola cases haha so ya I'm not so weird for thinking that.
So after that we got bodas to endiro, it's literally a piece of urban Salt Lake City right here in Mbale. I'll include a couple of pictures. I had an American meal and it was cool. But expensive. So unfortunately I can't go there everyday :/
So we got a tour of that tiny little place and Jan told us her whole story. She hates going back to England cause when she is sitting in the supermarket "there is just so much dog food!! The dogs in England are eating better than my sick Ugandans" she is cool! But she's basically Ugandan in a white body. She has spent her life serving; no husband or kids. That's true service work to Ugandans.
Then we went to the store and got some things and went home. Power was out again. So with a dead phone I passed out on da couch in my wonderful blanket. Everyone passed out today haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment