Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Day 1 Am I really doing this?

Day 1 in Uganda
The travel process was so long. 22 hours of actual flight time and lots of layovers. I have never traveled so long. I was able to sleep on each flight. So that was nice.
I realized I was really doing this when I landed in Amsterdam. And on my flight from Amsterdam to Rwanda was when I realized how different I look. Everytime I looked around there was at least 2 Africans staring at me....
I met Robyn in SLC and had her with me the whole time I traveled. She is gonna be my best friend for this trip I already know. She's so funny! She gets my humor so we laugh a lot and it helps me from being so sad. I am just so far from home in this hotel that is so gross haha. Who wouldn't want to be home with this kind of experience? I'm not crazy. ANYONE would be sick like I am. The stray dogs bark all night long and they sound so mean!! Me and Robyn are sharing this room. We will leave at 9:30 tomorrow morning to Mbale.
Suzanne our director says it is magical in Mbale and that this city (Kampala) sucks compared to it. I don't like the city, for what I've seen there are so many men running around even in the dead of night. There were so many people that just built fires right on the side of the road to stay warm or to cook their food. It is crazy! The people are nice so far though.
Driving is so scary. Just imagine a huge bus going 70 mph coming straight towards you and times it by 1000. We barely swerve past some things. The drivers here have a death wish I think!
After getting our visa's it was almost 2am. We were crammed into a mini bus like chickens and drove on the terrifying roads to our hotel. Our hotel (really just a run down building that doesn't even say hotel or anything) We walked 4 flights of stairs with our huge bags. And started settling into our rooms. I'm really having anxiety! But it'll be okay! Once I start to work.
 I miss my family. I want one of my moms hugs RIGHT NOW.
I am gonna attempt to shower right now. We'll see how it goes. Alright I just showered! Found out that while the shower is on, the faucet thing shocks you every time you touch it to try and figure out the controls. It's like touching one of those shocker practical jokes things but 10 times worse.
 Now we are attempting to sleep with this disgusting mosquito net. Hahaha talk to y'all laters


No comments:

Post a Comment