Friday, September 5, 2014

Day 2 100,000 miles from home

Day 2 in Uganda
My sleep was really disturbed by waking up ever once and a while and still being in Africa. I would convince myself it was a dream and then wake up to see the mosquito net..Followed by a few tears.Haha
I woke up at 5:52am to what sounded like someone put a megaphone straight into our open window and started singing Muslim notes.... And the dogs howled with it. It was the loudest most obnoxious thing I've ever been woken up by. Ten billion times worse than waking up to Morgan (little sister) pounding on the piano. It would go on and off and you'd think it was over and then it just started blaring again.
 The city is always hustling and bustling and it smells like burning trash.... Alllll the time. During our morning Muslim service the smell changed to a strong firework smell. Usually I enjoy that smell cause it means the Fourth of July in America. But unfortunately it is not the Fourth of July, and I am no where near America.
The blanket I brought seriously is saving my life. I can't imagine what I would have done without it haha. Also, me and Robyn bought matching neck pillows back in Salt Lake City that say "I love Utah" on them, at first we laughed at how ugly they were but now we are very protective of them and they really do mean so much to us... Hahaha it's pathetic I know. But that's what happens when you're what seems like 100,000 miles away from home hahaha.
Suzanne says today we will go to a magical place and we will feel much better about this place. Let's hope that is true!! I got to call my mom last night and then snuck a quick call to my boyfriend (Scotty) it made me feel better! But I miss them a bunch!
I'm dreading the drive to Mbale today. I just know it's gonna be a nightmare!
Alrighty.... So the drive to Mbale was exactly what I thought it would be. Haha it was crazy. The drivers here don't care about anything but getting to the destination. I can't even explain the experience. But Everytime you pass a car going the opposite direction they look like they are coming full speed at you. So you have these huge trucks with drunk drivers and they all turn there brights on until you pass them. It's a nightmare hahahaha.
We made a stop on the way at a home for abandoned babies. It was the saddest thing I have ever experienced 40 to 50 babies. We held them and played with them. I cried almost the whole time. These babies stay here until they are 5 years old and then they are placed back with the family or tribe so that they do not have to go to an orphanage.  Experiences like this make you realize the sadness in the world. Grateful that I was able to hold and love those babies even for just a few hours.
After a day of travel on the terrifying roads we finally got to our house. It's a big home with a with a Thailand kind of feel (I've never been to Thailand ha ha) Surprise the power was out (apparently that happens a lot) so we lit candles and brought everything in. Then we basically hit the heigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment