Day 3
So today we woke up to roosters. How gayyyyy. Also there was a mosquito trapped in my net the whole night so let's pray I don't get malaria.
We got up and had a meeting. Then set out and we all got on Boda Bodas (motorbike taxi) and did a scavenger hunt around Mbale. My team won of course!
We went to the bank and exchanged money, it's weird I feel very rich here. I mean I am compared to them here but the money system makes it feel like I'm sooooo rich. For every American dollar, here it is 2600 shillings. So right now I am carrying in my purse, two hundred twenty two thousand shillings. Hahaha. It es cool.
Anyways after the bank we ate at this hostel called the casa. We love the owner salaye. He talked with us about how the Ugandan education and how bad it is. They teach the kids about the French Revolution and the "USA war of independence" and they don't teach the children about how to survive/make a living here. That is why there are so many out of work. They are teaching the wrong things, they don't inspire kids with ideas of what they could do when they grow up to stay off the streets and stuff. It was a good talk. I like him a lot!
The Ugandans are so nice, and so happy. They call out to us "Malambay! Mzungus how are you!!!!!" Mzungus is white person. And Malambay is hi. The language is Ligisu. And all the little kids as we are passing their villages call out "Mzungus, Mzungus!" They all wave and smile very big. We walked about a kilometer to this orphanage out in the boonies of Mbale and as we came literally all the kids came running out to us. And I was in front so I ran to them and a couple of them jumped into my arms and hugged me so tight. It was such a cool moment.
We were showed around the orphanage and classrooms and taught about education again. But the kids would come to me and whisper "Mzungus u have money?" "My shoe is broken Mzungus...where is the money?" haha and I would say "I don't have the money, who has the money???" They were so cute.
On the way home it was horrible rain. We got soaked walking back to the taxi. Then our taxi got stuck and we had to get out and push. Haha. Thennnnn about 5 seconds after that the car stopped and the man driving said in his accent "oh..the petroleum" hahahaha. So we all found boda bodas and went home from there in the rain on a motorcycle. Haha it was fun but things just kept going wrong.
We got home soaking wet and muddy and got excited for cold showers(never thought I'd be excited about a cold shower ha ha)But instead we boiled water and poured it on ourselves in the shower. Hahaha. The power is still out. We'll see when it decides to turn on again. We have to order food now instead of cooking it which sucks but whatever, I am having rice again cuz nothing else stays in me hahah.


Love you Char!!! Be safe! Praying for you every day!!! Love Aunt Mel
ReplyDelete