Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Final Blog Post Go to Africa before you die!

Im sorry it took so long...I've been putting it off and putting it off cause it kinda stings to remember and miss it so much. I do not even know where to start. The 5 and a half weeks I was in Uganda where a whirlwind. If its possible for a person to mature so much in such a short amount of time, it happened to me.
I was thrown into a culture so unfamiliar and so different I was forced to adapt and learn, and I did. Also, lemme tell ya this, every moment of that experience, even the hardest were well worth it. Nothing can compare to this type of adventure, when you are in a third world country, with people you know nothing about, and a culture that even if you did know something, you don't really know until you are living in it.




I look back on the journey to Uganda. I don't even know who that girl was crying in the Amsterdam airport. The girl who was in pieces about leaving her loving, comfortable home. Heck, the way I see it now, I'd gladly do it again. A million times.

On my last night there I pictured heading back to America and I wanted to throw up, and I cried and cried. Thinking of leaving my new"family" that was completely forced, which worked. We were a dysfunctional, hilarious group of kids living together in Africa. Nothing sounds more fun right? I cried the most leaving my new best friend, Robyn. We weren't so forced. On the flight from Rwanda to Entebbe...that is when I knew that girl would be in my life forever!
The moment when Robyn and I both looked at each other we just knew we were thinking the exact same thing "What....the hell are we doing right now?" Excuse the slight cuss word. (Mom, don't edit this thanks:) I'm just being honest. Having some choice words come out of your mouth will happen while in Africa. Cant blame me, especially when you're going 60 miles per hour on a boda, SIDE SADDLE and there are huge buses and trucks pulling out right in front of you...and if choice words  don't slip out then IDK I guess you're not human.
Anyways, back on topic...Thinking about leaving my Africa family was very difficult, and don't even get me started on leaving the people of Uganda. ahhhhh. That was the worst feeling. It was really bittersweet, but extremely heavy on the bitter side. Being apart of that experience...was the best thing Ive done. Africa, you really and truly broke my heart into little pieces. Name any emotion you could feel and yup I felt it. Physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually I have grown.

The last night I was there I sat outside of my hostel in Entebbe, and just let the mosqiutos bite. I Just wanted to enjoy it. I thought about that morning as I left Mbale, the compound, and my family; I put ALL my luggage on 3 bodas (that was a sight to see haha) Then I hugged them all one last time, got on the boda, hugged robyn for the last time and just burst into tears. Cried on my boda all the way to the bus park. My boda driver was extremely concerned and just asked "Mzungu, why are you sad?" haha it made me cry harder and just reminded me how caring even strangers are over there. I couldn't even answer, I just said "thank you my friend".

 I've been home almost a week and a half. I miss it a lot. I mean, I love being home and everything, but sometimes I just wanna get on a boda and ride up the mountain and be in bona buyoca. Or go to the babies home and hug Aggy and Steven one last time. Who knows maybe I will one day:) I would love to go back and see if the babies remember me haha.

I will post the video I made soon as I figure out how....everything I do says its too long but its only 4 minutes so idk whats wrong. WATCH FOR IT THOUGH. I'll figure it out one of these days. It makes me cry watching it haha.
Thanks for reading my blog while I was there. Got more views than I ever thought possible haha. I love ya'll.
Go to Africa before you die, you just gotta!

No comments:

Post a Comment