Week 5
HELLO EVERYONE. I'm sorry for the lack of posts lately... Haha when I get disinterested in something (like writing a daily blogpost) it takes SO much for me to force myself to do it. Haha. But I'm going home in 2 days... So I decided I should share some of my thoughts and share with you some of the stuff I did the past week.
This last weekend we rafted the Nile river. THE NILE RIVER! haha ladies and gents I remember learning about the Nile when I was in 4th grade.... I always thought "that's so far away in Africa" haha well I rafted it y'all, I swam in it, It almost took my life, Hahahaha But hey it was one of the funnest things I have ever done. And I will never forget it!
We drove to Jinja on Friday and got there kinda late ish. We stayed in the hostel that the company who rafts the river owns. It's called Nile Explorers. It's wayyyy fun. Hostels here in Africa are so nice. Hot water, Nice beds, Good food, And way fun people. It's weird going from living in Africa to being a tourist in Africa. Those two are so different. Being a tourist you literally are treated like royalty. Living in Africa.... Ya that's a whole different story. We stayed up late that night with all the people in the hostel (including all the employees) playing cards and pool.
The next morning at around nine we set out to raft. It was about a 40 minute drive to where we would put the raft in. Our guides name was Musa, he's soooo good at what he does. I was pumped so we got in the raft and pushed out to start training and immediately Musa was like "get in the water" haha. So I jumped right in trying to avoid looking like a little amateur haha. Then we all practiced pulling ourselves into the raft. It's so hard with that huge life jacket in. Musa grabbed the ones who couldn't get in and basically just lifted us up into the raft like we were nothing. Hahah why would you even try to get in the raft by yourself when that was the alternative.
Our first rapid was class 4. We saw it and it was just a hugggeeee waterfall, Tons of rocks,Way crazy. What a rush to paddle so hard into those huge rapids. There are 8 big rapids we did on that trip each of them being either class 4 or class 5. There's a class 6 but we had to port around it haha. I wanted to go down it so bad. We tipped the boat over 3 times while in huge rapids and it's soooo crazy. When your in the water and trapped under the boat you literally feel like you're dying! But then when it's over you are soooo pumped to do it again!
We were on the river for 6 or so hours. After they served us dinner and then we got on buses to go back to Jinja. It was an hour and a half drive back because of how far we went down the Nile. We stayed the night again at the hostel and then headed home on Sunday. It was such a fun trip!
Oh I forgot haha. I'm still sick since last week. But it has turned into a nasty cough and migraine allll the time. So Monday I went to the babies home and couldn't handle the smells and the crying and screaming. I had the worst headache known to man so I came home, took some meds and passed out for 4 hours. It was crazy haha.
This morning, I woke up feelin alright. Wrote my empowerment speech for what I didn't know was gonna be the best 2 hours of my entire time here. The soccer training was a huge success. I absolutely loved it. I cannot believe some of the skill that those young girls have. It was soooo crazy!!! I spoke to them and just basically told them how cool it is to be a girl. And how much potential we all have. And they got so pumped for it.
At the end of the training we sat them down again and I talked about how they could be better than all the boys at futbol if they really wanted to be. They all got so excited and were screaming "YESSSS YESSSSSS!!!" hahaha. It was so cool. Milele the coach we are working with is amazing haha. He needs to come to America and coach. Anyways, it was the best experience. We had an audience watching us the whole time. I love the people here so much. They have an overflowing kindness and passion for life just exploding out of them; something a lot of Americans lack.
I leave on Thursday. I will post one final entry about the entire trip then.
I don't even wanna tap into that one yet. So don't miss out. Read it!:)
So jealous Char! A lifetime ago we did a crazy river trip in Costa Rica class 4 & 5 Rapids! Brings back tons of memories! Freaky Fun!! Safe travels home! We Love you!! ��
ReplyDelete