Week 4
Okay, right now I'm sittin in Endiro sippin African tea, and listenin to head and the heart. Thinkin about how I put into words what my week has been like. I have experienced every emotion possible this week.
Monday, was a work day. I woke up and headed out to fulfill the biggest grocery list you would ever see. I was alone for the first hour or so and then met up with Robyn. We got a bunch of stuff for bona buyoca. We had to do an English lesson for p4 and p5 and we were extremely nervous about it. So we stayed up late and prepared for it and got it all done.
Tuesday we woke up and went to Endiro at around 7:45am. We picked up a house gift for mama Sarah (lady we stay with in Bona Buyoca) and then we met Nancy at the total petrol station, got on a boda, then got in a taxi, then got on another boda. After the usually 2 hour journey to the village we got there and "took" tea (things are very slow in Africa.) Nothin will ever go as planned here. I don't think I will miss that when I come home.
We taught our lesson that was supposed to only be an hour but when the hour was up, the teacher was no where to be found. So I made up a lesson for an hour and ended up teaching them how to put a sentence together, our lesson was on the Be Attitudes. It took a long time because we had to teach them the definition of every single word; and we had to figure out what words in ligusu we could use to make it easier for them. But we did it! And they loved it! And I feel like we really did accomplish it! We then went to lunch, and spent the rest of the day with the children making paper beads. One little girl thought it'd be funny to cut Robyn's hair and put it on her head. So we turned around and this little girl had a good sized chunk of Robyn's hair right on her bald head. Hahahaha if that would have happened to me I would have cried. But we didn't make it to huge a deal. We just took away all the scissors and I put my hair up in a tight bun on top of my head hahaha.
Around 7 we took tea again, and that's when things went extremely horrible for me. It was pitch black, in the middle of rural Africa, on top of a mountain and I was hit by some type of bug/or food poisoning. It had me running back and forth from the latrines (Yuck!) all night long. I never had time to put my chacos on so literally I was running back and forth bare foot.
A few times someone else was in the latrine. So I had to run into the field of crops to take care of business! Again remember I'm on the side of a mountain, Pitch black, no shoes, having some type of freaking attack haha. While I was laying in that tiny room with a terrible fever and chills I quietly cried and cried. I wanted my mommy. It was the worst night of my entire trip by far!!
After what seemed like a billion years the morning finally came. I was so weak. I didn't eat anything and just packed up and hiked back up to the clinic. I told Nurse Nancy I had to leave for home because I was sick. We got the deworming pills and went and gave them to all the kids at the school as well as vitamin A.We Called for bodas and got the heck off that mountain.
When I got home of course the power was out (and it's still out 24 hours later)! I laid on my bed and just prepared for probably another night of being sick. Robyn got it too. We both took Tylenol pm and knocked out around 8. I still got up like 4 times that night, but it wasn't that bad.
When I woke up this morning my head was pounding and I had a bad cough. I wanted to just take a cold shower but our water isn't working in the showers. (Thank the heavens above it's working in the toilets) basically my body is just recouping today. I'm way weak haha. I have eaten though! And I feel better.
To top off my terrible night I received the sad news from Amanda that while I was away my favorite baby from the babies home, baby Moses had died. He was the one I was always holding and feeding and praying for. When he would sleep I would just sit and watch him sleep. I wanted to take him home so bad. Hearing this news I felt like someone had ripped my whole heart outta my chest. And I was left sick not only physically but emotionally. I talked with Molly, (the peace core girl who lives and works at the babies home) and she said they have no idea why he died. It makes me so sick and sad.
But I'm thankful to know that baby Moses is now in a much better place. He has the greatest care now; better then any orphanage or I could ever give him. I hope when I die, I leave behind someone that I touched so deeply, just like baby Moses did for me even though he only lived 3 months and he was only in my life for 3 weeks.
Ahhh, Man, Africa, you've broken my heart. But you've also done so much for me.... I feel like I came here to help but you've honestly ended up helping me. This world is a lot bigger than me and a lot bigger than Utah. Anyways thanks for readin. Sorry if it was a bit depressing today.
No comments:
Post a Comment