Day 15 and 16
Sorry bout not posting yesterday. I just honestly didn't feel like writing anything haha. But I will still go through the day I had!
Wednesdays are for the babies home so we got there around 8 and then started changing the babies. I probably changed like 100 towel diapers all day haha. And the way we change diapers here is ten times harder than in America. First off you get the baby, Probably dripping pee or poop all over the place already, take them to the table and undress them, then you get a rag, and a bar of soap, wet it with the Gerry can of water and then clean allll the poop/pee off, with a rag, not disposable wipes, nope those don't exist here.
So mothers in America, I know you think you have it bad; just try coming here and taking care of 15 babies every single day, with cloth diapers and ten times as much laundry & a bunch of mouths to feed. The nuns do it smiling :) ha ha. So it was a long day of being a mother to about 6 children.
Check out these diapers. I mean really?
We left and went to lunch and headed home to prepare for our meeting with the head guy at Mbale sports club about our soccer club; His name is Omar and he was very nice. We found out how much we will be paying for using the complex 8 times. It's kinda expensive, but we are gonna do it. He talked to me about futbol and I told him I played for 14 years in America; he asked me why I gave up? Haha I didn't know what to say. But anyways I'm glad we did that and made friends with him. Then we walked into town and found the store where we will be buying soccer balls,pennies and cones. I'm excited to get this started!
Then we went home for the night.
Day 16
Today I woke up and got ready to go to Namatala to Child of Hope primary school. We went to sit in on some of the classes and observe them. Me and Robyn went together to primary 6 (the oldest class in primary school) and seriously they were so great! The kids here want to learn and want to answer questions and it's way cool to see. The teachers in America ask questions and maybe one person will answer/raise their hand. But here they ask questions and they alllllll jump up and say me me me me! And they are teens!!! It's crazy. Not to mention the teachers are very creative and need no help with what they are doing.
After that we headed out and met some of the group at Bam (the grocery store we shop at) and then got ready for our 40 minute boda ride to Kyemula (It's pronounced chemula). Some of our group have spent time there before but I haven't. Milton is the man we are in contact with and he is like the leader of the town.
The First thing we did when we got there was look at where we will be building a chicken coop, and also to play with the piglets. They were sooooo cute!!!
They have 32 huge gardens in that town and it is in the most beautiful place. We (help Intl) have been providing pesticides for them. We walked and looked at every single garden. It was prob like a few miles of walking haha. Not to mention it was the hottest day I have ever been here for. It didn't rain:/ even the Ugandans were tired by the end!
We went back and went to the savings and loan town meeting. The whole town gets together once a week and collects all the money everyone has made and then gives out loans. In one week, this town made 67 thousand shillings; that comes to a whopping 25 US dollars. Can you imagine?
These people work manually all day long in the sun and make not even close to what people make working part time at Mcdonalds in America. Haha. K I need to stop thinking in American money. It's hard not to!
But anyways then we went to Milton's house and he fed us very much. Haha. Samosas and rice and pork and chipottis and tomatoes and sweet potatoes and he made us eat it alllllll:/ it was so much food and I still feel sick haha.
We the got a boda home and I was way dirty so I took a cold shower and now I'm sittin here. It was a long day. But a good one. Milton is the nicest/funniest man. I cannot wait to work with him in Kyemula! I love what I am doing here and I have hit the stage of loving Uganda! I have been here for almost 3 weeks. Crazy time goes so fast. 3 more to go! Yep I'm coming home after the first wave is over if any of you were wondering :)
I will include some pictures of today. Thanks for readin!

No comments:
Post a Comment