We packed on Monday night to prepare to go to bona buyoca. We need mosquito nets, a sheet, change of clothes, snacks, and lots of water. We left at 8am Tuesday morning. Btw it was only me Amelia and Robyn going. Bona buyoca is on top of a large mountain. No service no power no toilets. Just a random village in the middle of Africa haha.
We met Nancy (clinics nurse) nicest, cutest woman on the planet. She is hot here in Africa. Every man wants her. She is the definition of a perfect woman. Space in teeth, very voluptuous and dimples!!!)
We met her at the total petrol station, got in a taxi to manafwa district and then got bodas to take us to the village. It was so so muddy. The bodas were slippin all over the place.
We loved the drivers and they loved us. My drivers name was Joshua. He told me I was hot and I asked him where he learned that. Hahaha then he asked me if I had a husband..... I acted like I didn't know what he was saying because if I woulda said no he would have asked for my hand (happens a lot to us mzungus). We went down every hill so fast and I would scream all the way down. I believe that's why he liked me cause I was honest. Hahaha, everyone we meet here calls me stubborn. I guess that is how I really am.... Hahaha.
We got to the clinic and went right to work. I took all the babies vitals and recorded them. Then I went and learned to write and record all the prescriptions and diagnosis and treatment and stuff. Reading Africans handwriting is not easy. Hahah.
Lunch time was posho(corn meal mush) and beans of course. I hate posho so much hahaha. So I barely ever eat it. Nancy calls me baby, and daughter because I am stubborn like her daughter. So I call her my African momma. She loves it.
After lunch we went to the p5 class and played some games with them.
We then headed down half the mountain to the place where we were going to spend the night. Tiniest room I ever saw. Hahaha. We cleared out, killed so many HUGE spiders. It fit 2 foam twin mattresses on the ground so we slept spooning together. I did not sleep. And every time I did, I had a different nightmare..... So that's like 7 different horrible nightmares. One of them I woke up from and for 10 minutes I thought I was in Utah...Hahaha.
The sleeping situation made me miss Mbale and my lovely bunk bed (crevice and all :/ )So ya bona buyoca is heaven in the day and hell at night.
Lemon grass tea is what we drank the whole time which is so dang good and we also learned to make it. Wednesday We went and worked in the clinic again we saw several patients and I really liked working there a lot!
We all prepared educational speeches to give to all the classes in the school. My speech was on reading, studying, and keeping a schedule. It was hard because they understand lugisu better than English.
Around 3 it was time to head back to Mbale. It was pouring rain so we hiked down the other side of the mountain instead of getting bodas. All I can say about the last couple days is it was a hard 35 hours physically and mentally. But hey you can't say you have spent the night in Africa until you do it like we did. Haha. Now I have empathy for the people!
I didn't bring my phone to take my notes so I was writing in my little notebook. Sometimes I would space completely out but still be thinking about what I was writing, then I would come back and look at the paper and be so confused cause I coulda sworn I was writing that whole time! Hahaha it was way weird.
Also don't even get me started on the latrines (hole in the ground) YUCK! They aren't my thing. All part of the African experience I guess. Hahaha.
We got home and I took a cold shower and for straight 10 minutes the water that came off of me was brown hahaha. It felt nice scrubbing and gettin clean. I loved the past couple days though. I think I will go again next week.
I'm disappointed because we were going to go raft the Nile river this weekend but The help office is not letting us because they are still concerned about the threats and that the country is unstable. I'm kinda mad. But we will go the next weekend.
Oh yes, I forgot. Ever since the first time we came to bona buyoca I have had an automatic bond with one of the little girls. Her name is Winnie. I love her so much! When I left today she gave me a letter. It is so sweet! On the back she wrote the lyrics to "you are my sunshine" because we always sing it together. I will include a picture of it!
Thanks for readin today! Sorry I have been absent the last couple of days!



No comments:
Post a Comment