Day 9 in Uganda
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my momma. I love her so much. Being in Africa has really showed a new perspective on parenting for me. And seriously, I can't believe I am so lucky to have a mother that knows how to be a mother, and cares for me. I don't know why I got so lucky to have been born into the home that I did! In America! I hope one day I can be half the mother that she is.
Okay, woke up today STILL NO POWER. I was so mad! haha. My Phone dead and all, This is Africa! Hahah.
A full 40 hours without power In Africa. It's harder than it sounds. We had to go into town to eat lunch and charge our devices. Everyone has generators so that's how the city runs when there is no power.
We saw the power repair men. It's literally 49 guys in red jumpsuits staring at the power line. Just standing there staring at it! Ha ha
Amanda and I were so excited when we came home and it was on! It was miraculous hahaha.
Today we worked on planning out our projects. Amanda and I are planning to do an elite soccer league for girls here. We are going to go to 50 schools in Mbale and asking the head teacher to pick their two most athletic girls and we will make 10 teams out of it! Tuesdays and Thursdays we will meet at Mbale sports complex and train. On Tuesdays we will prepare a 10 minute ish speech on girl empowerment. A different topic every time of course! And then hold a tournament at the end of 5 weeks. We also have a connection we know a man on Uganda Cranes soccer team. Which is their professional team here and it is HUGGEEE!!!
For The tournament we will have him come (hopefully) as a guest speaker to speak to the girls and the importance of women and of course soccer. I honestly think that having this guy come would get alllll of Mbale to this tournament! haha. It'll be cool.
Another project I have set up is working in St Kazitos home for abandoned babies. There are 40 to 50 babies and only two workers. I'm very excited to go and spend part of my time there every Monday and Wednesday!
So y'all, I'm so excited for the next 5 weeks.
We as volunteers wanted an oven since we don't have one at our house. We went and got cement and bricks and have now broke ground for our outside oven!!! Hahaha we are so cool huh.
This weekend we will go swimming at Mbale resort it is way nice and right by our house.
Today was good guys! Also don't forget Moment of silence for 9/11.
Happy birfday mom again love you!
Ps here is our meal tonight. Veggie soup with avocado and those on the side are our cook jemimas (version of sweet potato fries)..... We also had amazing pineapple and watermelon! Yum!
Oh I forgot! Suzanne leaves tomorrow:(((((( I'm gonna miss her soooo much. Love her a lot!
Here is our group picture! Love this Group!
Char! What amazing things you are doing!!! I worry you are feeling yucky! I pray you get feeling better. I'm so excited for your soccer plan...can't wait to tell my kiddos! What a great thing for those girls! Love you
ReplyDelete