Monday, September 15, 2014

Days 12 and 13 Embassy Warning/Babies Home

Day 12 in Uganda
Not much to say today. It was literally the most chill/boring day. Haha. Woke up, got an email from the US Embassy that said someone was after Americans or whatever hahaha. I guess last week the US killed the leader of Al Shabaab (which is Africa's Al Queda). The US embassy put out a warning to all American's that there could be an attack targeting US citizens here in Uganda. On Saturday the Uganda police uncovered and captured Al Shabaab terrorists in a multiple bomb threat in Kampala (capital of Uganda). It is about 4/5 hours away but they also said threats were in other major cities. So we had to stay in all day. We are not sure what to think of it all.
Also I am getting kinda sick in the throat so that is annoying.
Day 13 in Uganda
Woke up around 6am and then set out around 745 to the St Kazitos babies home. We got here and played around with the toddlers. One of the first thing I noticed was these kids are not normal children. They are very, very, vulnerable and will come right to you and just be in your arms and when you wanna leave they cry and cry and just moan. It is so sad.
We then headed to the newborn - 1 year old area and helped out. There are 2 women for soooo many babies. All these babies sit in soiled diapers all night long until the morning when they are changed and bathed. So we helped change and bathe and then played with them. They are quiet and very melancholy and if not that, they are crying. Not like a normal squirmy baby.
We are going to work on creating a project to help them. But in the mean time I'm just gonna work there and give all I can to those sweet babies!
We left the baby home and went to casa for lunch. Then we tried to go to the ministry of education but not one single boda driver knew where it was, so we decided to go home look it up and then go back out. We got home and the internet was down. So we got back on the bodas and went to 4 Internet cafes. Just to find that all of mbales Internet was out. It was way frustrating but whatevs.
We came home and then Robyn convinced me to go to town AGAIN to go to the grocery store and central market. So I bought some bananas an avocado and a kilo of tomatoes. Spent 1 dollar 50. Hahaha. Uganda is great I am gonna miss it when I leave.
I will include pictures of the precious babies I worked with today! So tiny!


No comments:

Post a Comment